This design was inspired by the need of a frame for a king size bed that could hold a lot of weight, but would not break the bank. It may not win any contests in Home and Garden, but it looks no worse than a wooden futon frame.
Our bed design boasts the following:
For a King Size bed is 76 wide x 80 long, do the following:
1. cut 3 of the 2 x 4s to 80
2. in 2 drill 3 holes straight through as per diagram
3. in the third, just drill the two end holes for now.
3. cut 13 of the 2 x 4s to 76
4. in 2, drill 3 holes straight through as per diagram.
5. in a third, just drill the two end holes for now.
6. With the end bits from the 2 x 4s , cut them every 3.5 to create 3.5 x 3.5 x 1.5 blocks. You will need 36 blocks.
7. Drill a 5/8 hole through each block in the center.
8. Cut 9 lengths of the ½ PVC pipe to 9. Stack 4 of the blocks and insert the 9 length of pipe to make a leg. Make 8 more.
9. Build as per next diagram. Note that there is no ninth leg in the middle yet.
10. Square the frame. Drill one 5/8 hole in the middle of the bed where the boards cross. The 9th leg will go there. Insert 9th leg in the center now.
11. Place first board 6.375 measured on the centers from the headboard. Drill a 5/8 hole through the top board and half way into the frame board below. See cross-sectional diagram below. Insert a 2.2 piece of the PVC pipe into the hole(s) to secure it. Do the same on the other side of the board.
12. Repeat for the other 9 boards.